Thursday, May 24, 2012

One Week Away

For those of you who read my blog what I am about to share is not news to you, but please read on the same, because there is more to share.

This summer, starting one week from today (May 31st), I will be starting my job as a day camp coordinator at Trout Lake Camp in Pine River, MN.  Each week I will be driving a suburban with a trailer attached to it (I'm not joking) to a different part of Minnesota to put on a day camp at a church, with a set of counselors from Trout Lake from Monday to Thursday.  While we are there we will either stay at the church or a host family.  From Thursday to Sunday I will spend time at Trout Lake doing odd jobs and trying to get in time by the lake as much as I can while avoiding as many bugs as I can.  From what I know there are three coordinators and each of us will take different counselors with us each week for six weeks.  After that I will take the role as a counselor if that is a good fit or I will take on some other responsibility at Trout Lake.  I will be there until August 18th.  A week later I start my senior year of college!  Holy smokes.

Here is what I am excited about.  I am so excited to share truth with children.  I was talking with a family that I just love last night and sharing about what my summer will be like.  I haven't been able to put my passion into words until last night and this is what it is:  I am excited to be able to share the message with children that they are loved, they matter and they have purpose.  My prayer is that this message would be louder than any other messages in their life, and that it would not be my voice that is heard, but Jesus'.  Because of my past, I long for children to know this truth and be founded in it.  The truth of Jesus Christ.

Here is what I am anxious about.  Driving that suburban with the trailer connected to it.  And being away from home for 2.5 months.  Yes I have three years of college under my belt, but I also did that 1.5 hours away from home.  I believe the longest I have went being away from home is about a month and a half.  I can do this.  I believe by the time that I am done with the summer I will be a pro at driving and driving in the cities will be much easier.  (please Jesus!)

As I will be busy, and in many ways this whole experience is much like a mission trip I won't be able to have a lot of contact with others.  Yes I'm sure I will be able to text friends occasionally and make phone calls to my parents, but not like normal.  So this blog will hopefully be a place where I can share what is going on in these next 2.5 months.  I will have my phone with me, and it's a smart phone so I can blog on there!

I would absolutely love your prayer, because I do see this as a ministry.  I see this as a growing experience where I will be stretched in many ways.  I am incredibly excited to have this experience, and share the love of Christ with children.  Until then I plan to soak in this time I have at home with family and friends as much as I can.

He is so incredibly good and faithful,

-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment