Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Week 1/Trip 1

This week I traveled with two other coordinators and one counselor.  We ended up in Iowa so that meant a 7.5 hour drive without traffic.  I have to say that it was completely worth it.  The moment we entered the church I was reminded of why I love Iowa -- It is the people.  I'm sorry, but the silos and fields of corn aren't at the top of my list.  This city (Iowa City) is in great need of the truth of Jesus Christ.  They need to know what is true based off of what the bible says.  And these kids come from all different kinds of socioeconomic backgrounds.  Iowa City has a good amount of poverty.  It was pretty clear to me and my staff that many of these kids don't know the fundamental truths about God - he loves us and will never leave us.  God has been bringing that simple message back to us counselors/coordinators each day and we have seen the campers begin to retain those truths.  I know it all starts from there.  The gospel is all about God's love and I am overjoyed that we have the opportunity to share that with these campers in Iowa City.  It has been very fun to stay with our host family of six as well!  The husband and wife have four kids who all are cute as can be!  It's been fun to hang out with them, go on walks through the neighborhood, and finally have them warm up to you ;).  The most significant thing that I am taking away from this trip is being able to incorporate my teaching skills into children's ministry.  I am seeing more how God has wired me, and how that can serve the kids I encounter.  It is so sweet to finally see a group of kids understand a simple, yet very important truth.  That's what has marked my week.

Some other fun things that have happened this week are that us counselors went to Chick fil-a (some for the first time) and enjoyed it!  We also found out that Josie (counselor) loves soap...like loves soap.  We had some fun downtown Iowa City and the only store that was open after 7pm was Soap Opera -- Josie was in heaven.  It's been really fun getting to know my staff members more and doing what we love together.

It looks like God has a lot in store for this summer!

-Jamie

p.s.--
The city of Iowa is filled with advertisement for the Hawkeyes so in honor of Iowa this is the picture I choose to share!


logo_iowa_hawkeyes1.jpg

gold and black baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment